Monday, October 21, 2013

I watched God soften a hard heart


Dear Familia,
Thanks for the update on life in Richland.  Thats so great that Harrison and his friends have started that legacy of the dance thing.  Well, actually it was Jackson who got it rolling.  I am always in awe at the amazing familia I have.  Here in Chile, in the obra del senor, I have seen so much.  Satan is doing EVERYTHING he can to destroy the familia and to destroy the youth.  If he can destroy the youth, he will destroy the future.  But Satan is fighting a battle that he cannot win.  "Never get involved with a Sicilian when death is on the line . . . hahahah . .. hahaha .  . (And he dies)."  That is Satan.  He thinks he's got it, but no, he doesn't.  He will lose.

Also, I agree that Ben is absolutely amazing!  Wish I could be half the missionary he is.

So, this week was. . .  are you ready for this .  . hard!  Oh it was so hard.  It was so hot and we knocked so many doors, and I just wanted to find a nice shady spot to sit and drink ice cold water. But no, we knocked doors on shadeless, treeless, dusty streets, and only had hot hot water to drink.  I fell into bed just dead every night, and then I woke up dead the next morning to do it all over again.  But, we saw miracles everyday.

I know with all my heart that this is the work of the Lord, and He has not left us alone to do it.  I felt the Savior with me every second.  He stood by me when the doors slammed in my face to comfort me and tell me to keep going, and he whispered into my heart the words I should say to whose who chose to listen.  So yes, it is still hard, but who am I not to suffer?

Miracles in this work range from one good contact, to a baptism.  Yep, yesterday Hermano Lu* made a covenant with the Lord to be willing to take His name upon him, always remember Him and keep His commandments.  Oh, it was an amazing day! Hermana Lima and I showed up early to church and had the grand privilege of seeing him walk into the chapel in a suit!  Two ward members had gifted him a white shirt and tie, and he borrowed suit pants and a suit jacket from his primo.  Wow!  When I saw him I was just filled with joy.

There were 7 people baptized yesterday in our ward.  Yep, 7.  The heavens where rejoicing for sure. Taking pictures took forever, but we were able to get a few good ones.  Hermano Lu* was baptized last, and when he came out of the water he hugged the branch president (who baptized him) for so so so long.  He just wouldn't let go.  Then, afterwards, when he gave his testimony, he made me cry!  The turd.  I don't remember everything that he said, but here is a little jist. "Everyone told me that after you are baptized you will feel amazing, but there are not words to describe what I am feeling.  I feel .. .  I feel clean.  I was born again. This is the true church of God on the earth.  The mormon church. And now I am a mormon.  I never ever in a million years thought I would be a mormon.  Two years ago I could never ever see myself here.  I’m a mormon.  I’m a mormon in my house, with my family, with my friends, at my work.  I will always be a mormon."

It was a different man standing up there yesterday then the one that I met 6 weeks ago.  I honestly don’t feel like I did anything for him.  And I am not saying that to be humble, because it is true.  I DID NOTHING!  I sat back and watched as God softened a hard heart. He took a stubborn 56 year old man, stuck in his ways, and changed him into a repented child.  It was a beautiful thing to see, and the joy that was in my heart was complete.  It started in my heart and then pumped out to my veins until it had seeped into every part of me.  That moment was worth my whole mission.  Every tear, every hard time, every moment I wanted to give up.  Seeing Hermano Lu* at that pulpit was worth it all!

This is our group.  Hermana Dominique is our third companion cause we cant enter the house of Hermano Lu* solo.  She played a big part in helping us prepare him for baptism.
Car* also came to church! She just loves church. She says she is preparing to be baptized, but she doesn't want a fetcha. I think that she is planning on getting baptized in two years . . just like Hermano Lu*!  Noo!!  She doesn’t understand that she could be baptized tomorrow if she wanted.  We had a FHE with all her family.  We met her husband for the first time, and he is very amiable, but has had bad experiences with churches, so he isn't so open to listening to us.  But her daughter is definitely ready. I believe with all my heart that Car* will be sealed with her family for time and all eternity.  I believe that one by one, each of them will accept the gospel.  I know it.  I can see them all dressing in white, in the celestial kingdom.  During one of our lessons with her this week, I honestly felt the presence of a forth member.  Someone who was there who we couldn't see.  Then I remembered her son who has passed away, and I knew he was there.  He is our third companion working on the other side for us.  I know it!

We also found a family to teach this week!  I’m not sure how it will go cause the women is practically a testigo de jehova.  There were very amiable.  The husband invited us right in, and they were interested to know what we believed.  Then, before we left, the wife asked when we were coming back!  So there is a possibility here.  She is from Colombia and her accent is like glass! Honestly, she talks so smooth, clear, and slow.  I was jealous for like three second of those who get to serve their missions in Colombia or other lugares where the accent is easy to understand.  Chilenos talk so so fast!  And well, it is my personal belief that if you can understand a chileno speak Spanish, you can understand anyone speak Spanish! Jaja.

But, I love Chile, and I would never want to serve anywhere else.  Also, being jealous means that you are not grateful for what you have.

Okay, other random stuff that happened, I got chased and bit by a dog!  He ripped my second favorite skirt. Also, we find out about changes today.  I really don't want to leave.  If I leave I will just die!  This sector is so hard.  But I love it!  The mission is hard no matter where you go.  Also, once a week we eat in the restaurant that a member works at.  And the people at the table next to us were listening to music on their ipod.  Guess what they were listening to? LES MISERABLES!!  I sang along with every song!  JAJAJA. My comp thought I was crazy . . . but thats okay. And I was speaking like an Argentine all day yesterday . . jajaja

Okay, I love you all, thanks for all the support and love.  Que Tenga una linda semana!
Con Amor,
Hermana Ostler

Ps. Hermana Leyva is going back to the mission, but not here. She is going to a mission in Lima Peru close to her doctors.      

No comments:

Post a Comment