Monday, August 26, 2013

Life is a river, jump in!

Familia!
Umm, I forgot what I was going to say . . . oh yeah . . . I'm 21, I can do whatever I want!! And D* almost went to church last week!  I wasn't there when Hermana Peralta went to visit him cause we had interchanges and I was in llay llay again, bored out of my mind wishing I was in San Felipe.  But she said that D* said he had his church clothes out and ironed.  He was going to go, but in the last moment chickened out!!  Someday, someday he will come back.

We went to visit a less active, and he has a pet turtle.
I couldn't leave without taking a picture . .  even though I hate turtles!
These horses are always on this hill
Okay, so a few things to start out.  First, you need to go on my facebook and accept the people who have requested friendship.  One sister in the ward requested me and has pictures to send you but only if you accept her.  Second, another sister in the ward asked me if I could ask you to send patchwork catalogs.  I have no idea what she really wants but that is the translation from what she told me. The ward had 2 of them from the US, but they got stolen, and so she wants new ones from the US.  Yes, as far as I know Chile mail is still on strike.  Haven't gotten mail in almost a month.  But, that doesn't mean you can't still send me stuff.  Oh, and I would love some info about transferring to BYU.  And the last item of business is, Hermana Leyva is going home:(  Worst day of my life.  President told me during the interviews we had this week.  I guess she fell a few more times and now has tendinitis in her ankle or something like that.  Super sad.

So we had a good week.  As said before we had interviews with president, and again he told me what a joy my letters are to read.  Its funny that everyone thinks I write so good, cause I think its terrible and my thoughts are scattered all over the page.

Also we had intercambios with our sister leader.  I went to llay llay and was with a newbee for 24 hours, sister Lone.  Shes a great missionary, and having a way better start to her mission than I did, but I am so grateful for all the challenges I passed through and for all the tears I cried.  I can see that it made me strong, and it humbled me.  I still have a long way to go, and to pull from a past analogy, I will be developing humility and patience for the rest of my life.

During intercambios Hermana Withers was with Hermana Peralta, and she asked her what her favorite part of the mission has been, and Hermana Peralta said "being companions with Hermana Ostler."  Aww.  She is so sweet!  And we did celebrate my bday.  Basically no one remembered that it was my bday, because I haven't been like telling everyone.  I just don't like to make a big deal out of stuff like that.  So, the sister in llay llay sang me happy bday in the morning before I returned to llay llay, and then Hermana Peralta bought me the delicious empanadas they sell on the corner, but yeah, that was it.  It was a gray cloudy day, and I just shrugged my shoulders and said, yeah, typical Saydi birthday.

When we got back to the house, Hermana Peralta took forever in the bathroom , like 10 minutes.  I was kinda frustrated cause I just wanted to plan and then go to bed.  When she finally came out we planned quickly, then she left and was in the living room.  I decided to write in my journal before going to bed.  Just as I was finishing the entry, Hermana Peralta asked if I could come and help her with something.  I really didn't want to, cause I was kinda mad at her.  But I went into the living room and there she was in front of a sign that said "feliz cumpe Hermana Ostler" holding a cake with a huge candle.  I was so so so surprised and I felt bad that I had been mad at her.

She had been in the bathroom blowing up balloons and making the sign . . . jajajaja.  I don't know how she pulled off a surprise with me by her side 24 hours, well actually I do.  She slipped the keys to the house to a member and asked her to buy a cake and other decorations.  Clever little girl.  So we had a little celebration.


Guess what?  Yesterday we had 4 in church and three progressing!!  Freaking incredible!!  I should have been jumping off the walls happy.  And I was.  Well, kinda.  When I saw A* enter the chapel, my heart did a little flip, and I was happy for a moment.  Then when I saw 2 of our investigators running down the street toward the church, I could have sung I was so happy, but yesterday was a hard day, not only because we didn't teach a lot, but because I just want happy.  I know that it has a lot to do with my attitude, but I fought it all day.  I tried to think of the good.  We had 3 progressing, we have amazing investigators, president is happy with our work, I'm in Chile for crying in a bucket .. .  why couldn't I just be happy? Am I just a miserable person who will always rely on the situation to be happy?  But we had three progressing, isn't that cause enough to be happy?  Then I started thinking about the difference between happiness and joy.

Happiness is like a glass of water that you can drink to momentarily quench your thirst, but joy is like a river that is constantly running with clear, pure water to satisfy your thirst. There are people in this world that run around in the desert searching for their glass of water.  Looking for something to quench their thirst, and when they find it they are momentarily happy.  But it doesn't last.  So they run from place to place searching for something that will never truly fill them.

Then there are other people who have found true joy in life.  They float down river of joy where their thirst can truly be satisfied.  This does not mean that these people will never have hard times.  The river gets rough sometimes.  We have bad days.  But with our life we are satisfied. We are filled with joy.  The gospel of Christ offers this joy.  A lasting peace that fills us and carries us through even when the water gets rough.

So I had a bad day yesterday, and a lot of it had to do with my attitude, but that does not mean that I am a miserable person. I have found true joy in my life.  I am satisfied with where I am at, and with where this river is carrying me.  Life is a constant adventure, and a constant sequence of change.  Like Pocahontas says "what I like most about rivers is, you never step in the same water twice, the waters always changing always flowing."  So, like I have always said: life is a river, jump in it!!  Take it as it comes, the curves, the bumps, the rain.  It's the only way to truly live .. . to find joy.

Sorry, I don't have an amazing story for you like last week.  We had a good week.  We taught a lot of people, and had a lot of fun!  I spoke a lot of Spanish, and read a lot of scriptures. I ate cow liver . . again . . . which has the texture of wet chalk and tastes like organs .  it was great! I put my plaque on everyday and went out in the streets of Chile, crying repentance unto this people.  Inviting them to come unto Christ, to lay their burdens at his feet and be healed.  I'm floating down the river, and inviting others to join.  Life's great.  VIVA CHILE!!
Con Amor, 
Hermana Ostler

Ps.  I read a scripture this week that made me think of mom, and kinda dad, but mostly mom.  "And it came to pass that they did plead with their father many days that they might go up to the land of Nephi.  And king Mosiah went and inquired of the Lord if he should let his sons go up among the Laminates to preach the word.  And the Lord said unto Mosiah: Let them go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life, and I will deliver thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites."  Thanks mom, and kinda dad, for allowing me to come down to the land of the lamanites and preach the word of God.       LOVE YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment